Business Succession planning for businesses, especially private companies, should be on the a top propriety in the planning area. Whether the sale will be to top management, middle management, family or to outside sales, it should be an ongoing planning concern.
A number of private established company’s do not have any such planning, and newer companies in where the owners have no family to take over have the same problem. In both situations there is a challenge to create a succession plan.
Business succession planning could be the hardest planning of all. However, it is a must in planning. It is the only way the current owners can guarantee that the wealth of the company will either be passed on and continued, or the wealth is transferred to the families through the sale of the business. Without the succession plan, the largest potential of business wealth can be lost forever.
The lack of a Succession planning is the reason why many stockholder owners walk the floors at 2am. They have a true concern for the successor of the firm and the protection of the wealth of the firm.
Some of the questions that the owners of firms have:
- What if I die or become very sick?
- What if I lose my key person or key group?
- What if don’t want to do this any longer?
- What if there is an economic downturn and I can’t recoup?
Other areas of concern are:
- If I want to sell, when do I sell?
- What is the business worth?
- Does the senior management want to leave and retire, or stay active?
- Can the main group of owners afford to retire without creating a cash flow crunch?
- How vulnerable is the company if key people leave and take the secrets with them, or even start their own business, using the company’s business model, or share vital business secrets?
The questions discussed above along with many other questions, are the basis of the planning and will help the planning team of advisors guide the owners through the maze of planning traps and opportunities as they walk the path together. Continue reading “Business Succession Planning Is A Necessity For Every Business! “